Thursday, July 15, 2010

Light Knit Dress

Knitting Projects:

Day 1: The Soft Kid Bubble (Below is a picture of the finished project from the book Boutique Knits, by Laura Irwin



Laura Irwin's book as many beautiful accessories; hats, gloves, belts, purses, as well as some larger articles of clothing. Its a great book for a more experienced knitter to buy.



The pattern I have chosen to create from her book is a lightweight dress made of a soft mohair blend of yarn. It has a bubble shape that can be worn over leggings or stockings, or so I hope:) It also has an intricate lace panel across the chest that creates a more delicate appearance.




I went to the Wooly Monmouth in Red Bank, NJ to buy the yarn for the project. (http://www.woolymonmouth.com/)
The staff is always extremely helpful, eager as well as avid knitters. They helped me to find a yarn to substitute for the yarn used in the book. I chose a shimmery light pink kid mohair blend of yarn by Sublime.

I am excited about this project and hope that it turns out as beautiful as the picture. The piece begins on a set of circular needles from the bottom up. I should be able to add the pockets soon.



I can send the pattern to anyone who would like a little more information about the dress.

October 8, 2010

I am a little bummed out about my progress with this dress. After completing half of the dress, I am sad to say that I may have to take it out and start over again. The circumference of the dress is a lot large than my own hips. I followed the directions accurately and didn't take the gauge into account. This was a mistake, that I am embarrassed and frustrated to admit to. I will have to figure out how to change the pattern to match the gauge of my yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment